Critical Thinking as a Teacher:

One way teachers apply critical thinking to their professional practice is through the discipline of reflection.

Reflection – Running Records – 19 11 06 – Z. Forster

I have chosen to reflect on the running records seminar that we participated in as a class.  I have administered running records for an entire grade three class at Peden Hill Elementary in the past.  In my practice I always made jokes to put the student at ease before starting.  I would pretend that I could not spell their name properly and had students help me.  This gave them a sense of agency right off the bat, and got them laughing which broke any tension with regards to the work ahead.  By the time I had completed several records, I had formulated a protocol which allowed for a consistency and easement among students.  Consistency is a key expression of assessment because it creates a baseline from which all students can show their ability.  Easement is very important when assessing one on one, as the human ability to succeed is directly correlated with many facets of our peripheral nervous system.  When stressed our body functions move towards fight, flight or freeze as opposed to deeper thinking processes.  When exhibiting reading capability, one needs the whole of their front brain faculty.  Easement diminishes and hind brain activity and allows for children to utilize their prefrontal cortex which is the function by which reading happens.  From a child’s perspective, easement may not be fully comprehended.  It may be interpreted as “that task was easy”.  It was easy because the student had no other processes stealing precious energy or computing power from the area of the brain that reads.   From a teacher’s perspective, easement may appear as you have done a wonderful job of teaching kids to read.  This may be true, but in that moment, you have only afforded your students an optimum platform for demonstrating their ability; which is admirable.

Running records are a necessary function of formative assessment.  Always knowing where your learners are, what they need to improve and having a confident idea of where they are capable of going are all gleaned from a running record.  A student’s current ability is noted directly through the process of running records.  One must use the proper administration of a record to formulate a set of reading comprehension aptitudes, these are independent, that level which a student can navigate the material on their own, instructional, that which a student is challenging themselves with the goal of stretching their ability ultimately to improve reading, and hard that which is on the peripheral of their ability.  By selecting a level for each a teacher gains a confident idea of where a student reading is at.

By codifying errors, a teacher can divulge any patterns of struggle such as reversals of letters, strategies used etc.  When this occurs, a teacher can use this information to rectify or identify any reading behaviors, in the hopes of remedying them through further instruction.

Past these two points a teacher can assess where a student is capable of going and how one can support them to get there.

From the perspective of a teacher, this allows for informed practice designed to best address a child’s reading journey.  From a student perspective, they have gained reading agency and will most likely gain in confidence by way of best practice.  From a parent’s perspective, they should notice their child’s growth and hopefully be satisfied with it.

I will endeavor to implement running records at the beginning of the year, the middle and the end.  I will use the data gathered to shape my practice regarding next steps.  I will be aware of diverse perspectives of students, teachers, administration and parents.  I will also enjoy the one on one time I have with students as they read, as I have in the past.  These one on one moments allow for the creation of positive productive relationships, through shared experience and growth.

Reflection framed within a set of questions following Grade 5 Lesson in Geometry and Spacial Sense – Prepared for presentation and discussion to fellow WLU student teachers:

1. Is the lesson consistent with the learning intentions and goals for the students?

I believe our lesson was consistent with the chosen goals. Our expectation was, identify and classify acute, right, obtuse, and straight angles.  We created activities that allowed for students to be scaffolded through a system that would facilitate them successfully achieving the expectation.

1. Were there aspects of the lesson and/or presentations that worked well?

The “Simon Says” exercise worked well and provided students an opportunity to understand what obtuse, right and acute angles were.  Through this activity students were able to learn from the teacher if they were not already proficient with classifying angles as well as to strengthening current knowledge.  The kinesthetic nature of this exercise allowed students to understand in another way, while it encouraged engagement.  I feel this exercise worked very well and was successful in accomplishing the learning goal.

The movable anchor chart was a wonderful way of demonstrating angles to children.  It could be manipulated to many different angles and the arrays were labeled, acute, obtuse, right and straight, and could be used simultaneously or separately.  The fact that the arrays were movable diminished confusion that could be created if the angles were fixed.  If this was the case students might think that an obtuse angle was always at a certain coordinate rather than simply larger than 90 degrees.  I feel that this activity achieved the goal of identifying acute, right, obtuse and straight angles, while scaffolding for the final task.

The next step in scaffolding was the, “find an angle in the room whiteboard exercise.”  Here students practiced looking for angles in a controlled space so that when they went into the rest of the school they knew what to do.  It also allowed more classification practice opportunities for students.  Teachers could also observe if students were identifying or finding the correct angles.  If students were making mistakes, the teacher could take that moment to review the types of angles before continuing.  This is important because if students do not understand what the angles are, they cannot complete the rest of the task.  By having all students participate, a teacher can observe each individual’s understanding, whereas without this step students could be riding the coat tails of their group mates and not owning a good understanding of angles.  This activity served its purpose well.

The last step of the gradual release of responsibility was to send students out into the school to find their own angles and document them.  By sending students into a real-world environment to collect angles, we made the lesson relevant and authentic.  Relevancy allowed students to be more engaged, as they saw how angles were present and affected the world around them.  This was scaffolded through the earlier activities and I believe would be a very useful and achievable activity.   The flexibility we showed with regards to technology allowed for schools where resources were scarce to be able to complete the task, while allowing for those with lots of resources to extend the learning through technology.  By scaffolding our activities students would be better able to successfully complete the task that was given.

I feel that we conducted ourselves in a very professional manner and that our lesson was presented thoroughly and clearly.  Cohorts commented that they would use this lesson with their students, which leads me to believe that it was well constructed and communicated effectively.

1. Are there aspects of the lesson and/or presentations that did not work as expected?

Actually things went forward pretty much as expected.  We had planned carefully and considered the learning goals, anticipatory set, pedagogical considerations, assessment, differentiation, materials/safety and resources.

1. What alterations might you make to bring your lesson more in line with your intents and goals?

I feel that we could have differentiated more.  The lesson counted on a review of angle classification through the game to provide enough learning time for this purpose.  Perhaps not all students would have the background understanding to begin with this review.  A plan for capturing students who did not bring any concept of classifying angles should be developed.  This group of learning would be given additional instruction and experience before going forward with the other activities.

Extended learning opportunities are also present. To build upon this lesson I would include a follow-up lesson where we discussed why we might use the angles that were collected.  Are some angles stronger than others?  Why are some angles used in certain places?  How are angles used in construction? Where are they used?  Student independent or small-group research into self-generated questions about angles and their use would easily follow, as would associated oral, written and constructed presentations.

Through successful completion of this task, students would demonstrate their ability to classify acute, obtuse, right and straight angles.  By capturing these angles in the real world through camera or on paper and labeling them the students have been able to demonstrate achieve the goal that we set out for the lesson.  I will use this lesson in my future teaching.

Communication as a Teacher: 

Teachers are by definition communicators.  Teaching and learning are forms of communication.  Th ability for teachers to interact positively with students, families and colleagues requires strong oral and written communication.  I’ve included below a sample letter of introduction from me as the new Grade 1 teacher in September.

Letter of Introduction to Students’ Families at the beginning of a new school year:

September  XX, 20XX

Dear, Student, Parents/s and or Student’s Adult/s,

My name is Mr. Forster.   I am your child’s new Grade 1 teacher for the year of 20XX/20XX.  This letter is meant to communicate to you the goals of our learning journey.  I am excited to be teaching at XXXX  Elementary School and am looking forward to working with this group of children.

I believe that every student can learn, and will do my very best to meet your child’s needs.  I also believe in a running communication involving student, teacher and home.  By including all stakeholders in our learning this year, we will be most able to ensure success.

Students are expected to arrive on time and participate in scholarly activities in class.  Children are expected and supported to behave according to school expectations towards self and others.  Grade 1 is heavily geared towards creating fluency in both language and mathematics.  As such, the year will be constructed with a focus on literacy and  numeracy.  Support and extended activities will be provided to ensure all students are learning to the best of their abilities.  We have an Educational Assistant working with us this year to offer support as well as a resource team in the building.  Extended learning opportunities will be identified and provided for learners needing greater challenges.

I believe that communication with all stake holders on a regular basis is advantageous, so I encourage you to employ the method(s) that work best for you.  A web-page for our class will be created as a communication platform.   More on this electronic tool will follow shortly. I can be reached by email at 123456@asd.ca. .

All assignments will be completed in class this year.  From time to time, I might request materials for special projects.  Considerable time will be given to collect materials when needed.  Students will be asked to read every night as part of our nightly reading program, but I will send information as that develops.  Students will be continually assessed using the BC curriculum.  Grades will be derived from an ongoing e-portfolio in an attempt to capture a whole year’s journey rather than a fixed point in time.  I will discuss this system in detail when we meet in October during student-led conferencing with parents/guardians. If you have any questions or concerns about anything please email me to discuss.

Our class is off to a great start and I anticipate we will have a highly successful year. Welcome to the Grade 1 team.

Sincerely,

Mr. Forster, Grade 1 Teacher

Intercultural Awareness for Teachers:

While completing EU493 First Nations, Metis and Inuit (FNMI) Topics in Education at WLU an assignment required that we conduct an analysis of a recommended lesson using and indigenous framework.  I’ve included my completed assignment here to demonstrate my thinking in this area.  Although I will always be developing in my ability to apply an Indigenous lens the process followed during this exercise remains sound and I will continue to use it as I plan for instruction.

Lesson Analysis Using an Indigenous Educational Framework

Zachary Forster

October 4, 2017

Assignment:  Students will select a learning activity developed/and/or endorsed by Aboriginal Educators and analyze that lesson using one of the Indigenous Educational Frameworks explored in class.

I have chosen to analyze a Grade 5 Language lesson from the Aboriginal Perspectives: The Teacher’s Toolkit published by the government of Ontario and retrieved from www.edu.gov.on.ca.  I will conducting this analysis within the Anishnabe Medicine Wheel framework.

Grade 5 Language

Creation Stories – Where We All Come From

Students read and compare creation stories from various cultures. In groups,

they prepare a story for a reader’s theatre presentation.

Related Curriculum Policy

• The Ontario Curriculum, Grades 1–8: Language, 2006

Specific Expectations

Reading for Meaning

• 1 read a variety of texts from diverse cultures, including literary texts (e.g., short stories, poetry, myths, culturally focused legends, plays, biographies, novels), graphic texts (e.g., graphic novels, hobby or sports magazines, advertisements, logos, atlases, graphic organizers, charts and tables), and informational texts (e.g., editorials, reports, biographies, textbooks and other non-fiction materials, print and online articles, personal electronic and online texts such as e-mails)
  • 4 demonstrate understanding of a variety of texts by summarizing important ideas and citing supporting details (e.g., topic sentence and supporting points in paragraphs, reports, online and print newspaper articles, restaurant or cafeteria menus; theme and supporting plot details in short stories, myths, and fairy tales)
  • 6 extend understanding of texts by connecting the ideas in them to their own knowledge, experience and insights, to other familiar texts, and to the world around them

Aboriginal Context

Throughout history, each civilization has conceived theories that explain the origin of life and the world. Aboriginal people are no different. In addition to their belief in the Creator having initiated life after creating the earth, they devised elaborate tales to explain how people should interact with each other and the Creator. These legends, myths, and teachings were not formally recorded, but were committed to memory by selected members of the community. These honoured storytellers used sand paintings and pictures drawn on birch bark scrolls, animal hides, and stones to illustrate the stories as they retold them.

Teaching Strategies

• Ask students about the beliefs they have about where people originally came Elicit a number of stories and theories, such as the biblical creation story, Darwin’s theory of evolution, and other stories or theories they know about from their cultural and religious backgrounds.
  • Explain that different cultures have different stories, theories, and beliefs about how their people came to Read aloud an example of such a story.
  • Model how to create a Venn diagram to compare the biblical creation story and the story you Have students summarize the similarities and differences between the stories, and ask for examples from the stories that support their thinking. Fill in the diagram with their responses.
  • Make available a collection of creation stories from various cultures, including those of Aboriginal Explain that Aboriginal Elders say that Aboriginal people have been here since the beginning of time and that the Aboriginal peoples of Ontario each have their own distinct creation story.
  • Have each student choose and read one
  • Have students discuss the story they read with a partner who has read a different
  • Have the pairs of students create a Venn diagram comparing the two stories they have Have them cite examples from the texts to support the comparisons.
  • Have the pairs of students form a group with one or more other pairs to share their Venn
  • Have each group select an Aboriginal creation story to develop as reader’s
  • Have the groups rehearse and present the story to the
  • Have students make a journal entry about how the beliefs in the stories they read compare with their own

Resources

The following recommended resources and web links were accurate at the time of publication. Teachers are encouraged to check that these reference listings remain current.

Bruchac, Joseph, and Caduto, Michael J. “The Earth on Turtle’s Back.” In Keepers of the Earth: Native American Stories and Environmental Activities for Children. Keepers of the Earth series. Golden, CO: Fulcrum Publishing, 1997, p. 25.

This resource provides hands-on activities that inspire children to understand and appreciate Native American cultures and the earth.

Goodminds.com.    http://goodminds.com/homepage.htm.

A catalogue of indigenous North American educational resources for students in Kindergarten to postsecondary grades.

Native Creation Myths. http://www.ucalgary.ca/applied_history/tutor/firstnations/myths.html. Aboriginal stories reflecting the eight themes of genesis that exist among First Nations in Canada.

Making Community Connections

• Borrow books containing creation stories of various Aboriginal peoples from your local library and/or central board You may wish to focus on the creation stories of the Aboriginal groups in your local area.
  • Contact a local First Nation group, Friendship Centre, or MĂ©tis organization to invite someone to lead a storytelling session with the

§

ABOUT THE TEACHER’S TOOLKIT

§

This teaching strategy is one component of Aboriginal Perspectives: The Teacher’s Toolkit, a collection of resources designed to help Ontario educators bring Aboriginal perspectives into the classroom. Based on the revised Ontario curriculum, the collection includes resources for educators at both the elementary and secondary levels. Other resources in this series can be found on the ministry website, at www.edu.gov.on.ca.

§

The Anishnabe Medicine Wheel provides a holistic framework for considering four dimensions of human development and functioning, physical, mental, spiritual and emotional.  The Wheel honours a balance of the four ways of knowing and challenges users to integrate learning by through revelation, relationship, response and reflection.

Physical/East/Respect:

(Physical) Respect is located in the Eastern (east) Doorway where everything begins, the season of spring, which represents renewal, and the element of fire, which is honoured in most Indigenous ceremonies and teachings. The teachings of the Sacred Fire are extensive but it is understood that it is connected to Mishomis Geezis (Grandfather Sun).

Page 16 of 23, WLU Course Syllabus EU493 

Has the Indigenous knowledge been approached with respect in the Grade 5 Language lesson Creation Stories – Where We All Come From?  

In many ways the lesson respects Indigenous knowledge.  Aboriginal creation stories, myths and beliefs are being presented in a context of all cultures containing similar narratives.  In addition, an indigenous creation story is being used as the subject of reader’s theatre, elevating it in status as being worthy of this purpose.  Suggestions are also given that local First Nations groups could be invited to lead a storytelling session in the classroom.

I think that the lesson would be more respectful if it began with the storytelling guest sessions as an introduction opening with an acknowledgement of traditional territory and including FNMI as well as additional heritage representatives as reflected in the students involved.  For example, Arabic, French, Ukrainian, Dutch, Punjabi, etc.  This authentic beginning would also better reflect the holistic nature of the medicine wheel.  Following this introduction, students could be challenged to go home and to ask about creation stories, myths, beliefs etc. the people there hold.  The students would bring these back to class to share with peers.

I also do not think that it is respectful to ask during the lesson that comparisons be made to “Biblical” stories.  I’m assuming that the lesson is referring to a “Christian” Bible but this is also assuming a Western bias.  Truly respecting all perspectives would not center a comparison on the Christian Bible.

Emotional/South/Relevance:

(Emotional) Relevance is located in the Southern (south) Doorway, the season of summer is reflected as the time of nurturing, cultivating and preparing. The element of air is represented in the south, as we all need air to sustain life as well as cultivate.

Is the Indigenous knowledge relevant to your practice, are current Indigenous people (2016) and is the territory you are teaching in reflected?

Indigenous knowledge is extremely relevant to the practice of teaching regardless of the subject matter.  Students are holistic beings and learn accordingly.  This lesson does respect relevance, in that students are listening, speaking, participating in reader’s theatre, working together etc.  If guests attend the classroom even greater opportunity for connected learning regarding the emotional content of creation stories is possible.  Reflecting the specific connection to the specific traditional territory can be achieved in this lesson but as written it could be missed.

The lesson could be strengthened to draw direct attention to the emotional lessons embedded in the creation stories as well as emotions experienced by participants in a reader’s theatre experience and as a listener to a storytelling session.  Students could be challenged to reflect on their own emotional involvement during these activities.

Spiritual/West/Responsibility:

(Spiritual) Responsibility is located within the Western (west) Doorway the doorway to the Spirit World completing our life journey on this earth. The season of fall/autumn represents the time of fasting, vision-questing, self-reflection, introspection and the time when things are concluding until the next cycle. The element of earth is also represented in this doorway and reflective of our connection and responsibility to our Mother Earth.

Page 17 of 23, WLU Course Syllabus EU493

Is there a responsibility to the Indigenous knowledge?

I think the lesson assumes responsibility for the Indigenous knowledge presented in the creation stories experienced but I detect a bias when students are asked to compare stories to a “Biblical” story.

The suggestion outlined above where students are challenged to discuss the stories and beliefs held at home regarding “Where we all come from” would better honour the West direction of the Medicine Wheel.  The teacher in modelling respect for all perspectives brought forward would be supporting the knowledge of the Spirit.

Mental/North/Reciprocity:

(Mental) Reciprocity is located within the Northern (north) Doorway, the season of winter, which reflects a time Mother Earth is resting from her labours. It is also a time of teaching used by Grandparents to teach children stories, customs and ways of knowing by the nation so that they would be carried on and preserved. The element of water is represented here as life and keeps us balanced and sustained.

Is there balance between the Indigenous knowledge and the curriculum?

In this lesson example, Aboriginal knowledge is providing content to support students achieving specific learning expectations, Grade 5 – Reading for Meaning, 1.1, 1.4 and 1.6.

I think this is an excellent balance.  FNMI is not an add-on or something to be addressed in-addition-to.  It is providing the bulk of the content used for instruction.  As mentioned above, I believe this embedded FNMI could be strengthened but certainly it is present.  A wealth of print and oral aboriginal creation story resources are available to teachers in support of this lesson as planned.  The community connections recommendations also support the knowledge of the North, in that the whole community can be seen as a source of knowledge and teaching as opposed to limiting learning opportunities to formal school settings.  FNMI creation stories provide a rich and varied source of Reading for Meaning curriculum instruction.

In summary, while this lesson is generally respectful of FNMI perspectives as analyzed through the framework of the Medicine Wheel, as written it contains a bias toward the Christian Bible creation story.  It could be significantly strengthened by removing this reference, providing an authentic storytelling experience when introduced and challenging students to connect with their own family context.

Social Justice:

Information & Digital Literacy:

Numeric & Scientific Literacy:

Collaboration & Teamwork:

Civic, Ethical & Professional Responsibility:  

I have provided a link to a case study scenario which was presented to our UNBC EDUC 413 Counselling Skills course.

Case Study

Creativity/Innovation: